At Green Wellness Life, we’re healthy-living advocates, and taking care of the ecosystem that sustains our lives is an important part of living well.
We not only care about selling you products that are safe and healthy to put into your body, we also care about what we put back out into the universe. Here are 12 ways to cultivate that Green Wellness spirit on Earth Day and a 12% discount offer at the end of the list!
- Plant a tree. Literally put some green (wellness) life into the earth! According to the Earth Day Network, deforestation is one of the major causes of climate change. Imagine if even half of the world’s population planted a tree this Earth Day – that’s over 3 billion new trees in just one day.
- Ditch those single-use plastic products. Plastic is non-biodegradable, meaning every plastic item we use will likely outlive us. Just by refusing a plastic, disposable straw at a restaurant, you’re helping to cut down on the 500 million straws used each day in the US alone. Small acts make a big difference when we all pitch in.
- Save the bees, plant a garden. It’s that easy, we promise! So much of the food we eat is dependent on bees for their cross-pollination. By planting a pollinator-friendly garden, you can give your local bees a healthy, happy home while beautifying your own home at the same time.
- Embrace cold water this summer. Take a cold shower once a week, or wash your clothes with cold water. The latter can cut the energy consumption of your washer by as much as 90 percent.
- Participate in #MeatlessMondays. Animal agriculture produces a very specific greenhouse gas called methane – we’ll leave it up to you to guess which part of the animal that very literal gas comes from! Combining the environmental cost of methane with the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest to feed and raise cattle, animal agriculture produces more emissions than the entire transportation sector. If going meatless on Monday seems like a daunting challenge, even switching from red meat, to another choice can make a big difference.
- Dust off your bicycle. In addition to keeping you healthy, choosing to ride your bike to work or run an errand instead of driving your car helps keep the environment healthy, too! When you consider the environmental cost of production, bicycles are even better than hybrid cars – and cheaper, too.
- Go to your local library. Seriously, reading free books can help save the trees. How much better does it get?! Americans use seven trees each year on average, and paper products make up a significant portion of that use. Borrowing books from the library instead of purchasing new ones is just one way to make a difference.
- Recycle. This one seems obvious, but right now only about 20 percent of Americans actually recycle. Stay updated on which of the products you throw away could be recycled instead and how to recycle in your local community – the technology is continually improving. Even food waste can be recycled in the form of compost.
- Don’t forget about reducing and reusing! Producing and transporting new goods results in the production of harmful greenhouse gases, so simply reusing or upcycling products into something new and different instead of throwing them away is a great way to care for the environment.
- Volunteer with a local park or community garden. You’ve probably noticed there are a couple of themes in our list. Just like with reusing products, growing your food locally cuts down on transportation of goods, which cuts down on greenhouse gas emissions. As an added benefit, eating seasonal food is good for your body, too.
- Spend some time outside in nature. It’s easier to care about our environment when you have a personal appreciation for the outdoors. You don’t need access to a public park or hiking trails to reap the benefits of a natural environment – even stepping out onto your porch to get a little sun can improve your mental and physical health.
- Try a hemp product! Luckily for you, that’s what we specialize in. As you likely know if you’re reading this, Green Wellness Life offers CBD products made from the seeds, stalks, and flower of the industrial hemp plant. Now, we’re excited to offer hemp clothing and accessories so you can bring hemp into every part of your life! We’ve known for thousands of years that natural fibers like cotton or linen are great for our bodies because they’re comfortable and breathable, but industrial hemp has already one-upped its natural textile cousins. The incredible crop is both sustainable and diverse. You can use hemp to make anything from clothing to biofuel to construction materials! With the Hemp Farming Act of 2018 currently in the US Senate, we have our fingers crossed that even more of the planet can soon benefit from this hemp revolution.
As a special thanks for reading this list, use our 12% off coupon code “GreenEarth12” to purchase hemp products that are good for you and good for the earth. The coupon code is good through April 26, 2018, and in addition to your discount, you’ll also receive a free Green Wellness Life lip balm with your order!